Monday, September 26, 2011

First Post!

:D So I am quite excited, I have a blog now and this is my first post ever. It has taken me awhile to design the blog, but at this point I like it... for now :)
I think that this blog will have a few facets to it, and hopefully will be enjoyable for many different "kinds" of people. I am an artist, as in I paint and draw; I am also a first time art teacher, and then there are all the handcrafted treasures that I love to make.  So now that I am not embarrassed for people to look at my blog, I am going to start blogging. The plan is to post often. Even with my busy schedule I think it will be very good for me, and I have tons of ideas for post topics, so stay tuned!

My online portfolio is juliawichmanart.carbonmade.com  Basically all of the work in my portfolio was done while I was in college. I am currently working on a couple paintings of a rhododendron (one water color pencil, and one photo realistic oil), and a super cute painting of my mom when she was three, standing at Lake Michigan.  I am also reading a book by Dr. Betty Edwards Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I've never gotten into an art book before, but I am gobbling this one up and am going to start implementing some exercises and teaching from it into my middle/high school drawing class. A MUST READ for artists and anyone wanting to draw well, trust me.

Andddd I am teaching for the first time as before mentioned. What an interesting challenge! Teaching class is much more easy and fun than preparing for it, but I am enjoying the experience overall. I have four elementary art classes of eight students each, and a class of nine older students focusing on drawing. The hardest to teach is the drawing class, but this book is about to help us a lot I think. Oh ya, and then I also work at a frame shop in a large arts/crafts store, but that's not near as interesting...  I mean all I do really is tell people where the bathroom is.  That's a joke, but almost true.

Tomorrow I will post about painting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment